Thursday, July 9, 2015

Reno Day 12: Wind, Wind, and More . . .

Wind. The first hour or so was nice and calm. Then the wind started. The wind was with us most of the day. It wasn't as bad as yesterday, but it was still enough to wear us out. 

We were up early this morning, but somehow got sucked into the twilight zone and didn't get on the road as early as we wanted. We made good time after we got going. Today was the day we crossed the Bonneville Salt Flats. 



Crossing the salt flats always makes me think about the first time I ever drove cross country. I was 16, almost 17, when my dad retired from the Air Force and we were going to move to Colorado Springs so my mom could be closer to her sister. We packed up our stuff, sold our house, and drove to Colorado. 

My dad drove our motor home and I drove the car, a 1963 Mercury Comet with a 2-speed automatic (my mom didn't drive). For most of the trip I had my two oldest siblings in the car with me, and my youngest brother (he was 7 at the time) rode with my parents. When we left Wendover, my dad told me that my youngest brother had to ride with me. Within 5 miles, I understood why. 

The road through the salt flats is straight and flat and boring for 100 miles. My dad wanted to make sure that I didn't fall asleep while we were driving over one of the most tiresome stretches of highway in the United States. For 100 miles my little brother asked question, after question, after question. He was a truck nut, so every time we saw a semi truck, he would tell us what kind of big truck it was. I remember him talking about being a "big truck driver" when he grew up. My brother went on to become a "big truck driver", my dad always said he was a natural.

I don't remember if we had bad weather on that trip, but on this trip we ran into a few sprinkles before we reached Salt Lake City. We managed to dodge most of the rain and the worst of the wind today, but the drive through the mountains from Salt Lake City to Park City was pretty tense because of the traffic. We stopped in Park City and had a brew and an order of nachos before heading back out on the road. 

By the time we got to Evanston, WY, we were pretty beat, so we decided to land here for the night and get an early start again tomorrow. With luck, we'll be home tomorrow night, if not, we'll be home on Saturday.  

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to run my bike at Bonneville during one of the special sessions they have for that. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete