Friday, August 7, 2015

Sturgis Day 5: Braving the Crowds

Sturgis is the epicenter of the motorcycle rally that takes place in the Black Hills of South Dakota every August. And today we went into Sturgis. We got another early start as Lin, Donna, and I headed to the gas station and a fast food breakfast before jumping on the interstate for the 35-mile ride from Box Elder to downtown Sturgis.

For the most part, people are pretty friendly during the rally. We trade ride stories, recommendations, and warnings; and frequently give each other little hints, tips, and tricks to getting into and out of the crowded little towns. Today was no different. Another tip for riding into Sturgis with minimal hassle. I had planned to go in that way anyway, so it was nice to know that my idea was a sound one.

The rally seems to have a natural traffic flow. For the most part, rides move out and away from Sturgis. I have found that if we travel opposite that flow, we miss the worst of the crowds. Of course, I've also found in my life that timing is everything.

I thought it would take longer to get on Main Street than it did. Within 10 minutes or getting off the highway, Donna and Lin had found places. I wanted to get some footage on my GoPro, so I did one circuit and started a search of my own. Now, that took a few minutes. I'll upload some video when I get it cleaned up and compressed.

Sturgis is an interesting place during Rally week (and the weeks before and after while the Rally ramps up and winds down). Some people come for the motorcycle races, some for the concerts, and some -- like me -- to ride in someone else's back yard for a few days. We also see a lot of interesting folks, like this fellow that Donna saw in her travels up and down Main Street.


When we were all tired of walking around in the crowed streets and ready to ride again, we rounded up our bikes and went for a quick bite before tackling Vanocker Canyon on our way back to Box Elder.


All-in-all, it was a pretty good day. We even made it back to our camper well before dark. Tomorrow is "clean-up" day. We need to spend some time getting our stuff packed so we can get an early start home on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment