Saturday, August 8, 2015

Sturgis Day 7: Home Sweet Home

We traveled back home today. We had our bikes packed, the camper secured, and were on the highway heading for breakfast by 9:00 AM. The restaurants were pretty crowded this morning as a lot of people looked to be heading home today. Of course, by the time we finished breakfast (and visiting) and hit the highway, it was after noon.

This morning, I saw a steady stream of motor homes, pickups with trailers, and motorcycles as we rode into Rapid City. I also saw a lot of folks heading into the Black Hills all day. I have to admit that I saw a lot more people pulled over getting tickets than I remember seeing in the past. Law enforcement was ever so vigilant this year.

We met up with our young friend Jacob again for breakfast and he rode back to Colorado with us. The ride home was uneventful -- just the way I like it. We rode south on US Hwy 85 all the way to I-25 just north of Cheyenne. I like traveling that road. The traffic is usually reasonable and it's not too fast. Unlike most years when we ride that stretch of highway, the fields were vibrant greens and yellow wildflowers lined the road. 

The weather conditions were perfect for the ride home -- warm with just enough cloud cover to keep the temperatures from becoming blistering. What little wind we experienced mostly helped push us along. Donna and I decided to forego a couple of our usual gas stops in favor of getting home sooner. Our last gas stop was Wellington, and Jacob continued on to Denver while Donna, Lin, and I took CO Hwy 1 into Fort Collins. I hope he made it home safely. 

And so ends another Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Tomorrow we wind down from vacation and get back to reality. 

Until next time. Ride on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment