Saturday, August 13, 2016

Sturgis: The Ride

Today we got up fairly early and made the mad scramble to get our stuff packed and get on the road at a reasonable hour. We failed. By the time we got packed, gassed, fed, and caffeinated it was almost noon.

Overall, I thought the weather was pretty awesome for a return trip from the Black Hills. Granted, it was a bit windy in spots, but the temperatures were comfortable and we didn't run into rain.

As we traveled south, I thought about The Ride. What is it that makes us love riding the motorcycle?

On a motorcycle, you are out in the elements -- the wind, the rain, the sun all have immediate effects. You are exposed to conditions that you have little to no control over. You travel the same roads and at the same speeds as people in cars. Many of those people don't see you because you are small and easy to miss. So you ride like you are invisible, because to most people you are.

But what makes us love it?

Motorcycle riding is a visceral activity. When I ride, I feel like I'm floating. I react to the road with a twitch of the hips one way or another, a slight lean into a handlebar as gusts of wind try to shove me off my course. The wind screams past my ears not quite drowning out the sound of the 1300 cc engine thundering below me.

The road itself is part of the sensation. Each different surface has its own feel through the tires. Some pavement is grooved, some not. Some surfaces are noisier than others, some more difficult to navigate. The heat affects different surfaces in different ways. And tar snakes are always a bikers favorite.

The wind brings fragrances, odors, and aromas that are gone as soon as they cross my nose. The sun beats down, turning my exposed skin a dark reddish-brown. When a cloud passes overhead, the air temperature drops. And you can tell where a field has been recently irrigated or fertilized.

There is a certain freedom in being out in the wind, exposed to the elements. If I could take all of my trips on a motorcycle, I would be a happy girl. But, this is a summertime activity, so we take advantage as we can. And so, we complete up another Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

Thanks for reading my ramblings on our trips. And please take a peek back for photo and video updates as soon as I edit the GoPro footage.

No comments:

Post a Comment